Overview of the Problem
Disparities in pediatric health outcomes for different patient populations remain a significant challenge in healthcare. These inequities, driven by multivariate causes socioeconomic differences, access to care, social determinants of health and treatment biases, interfere with our unified mission of delivering equitable, high-quality care to all children. Besides the ethical implications, these disparities affect your hospital’s performance, regulatory compliance, and financial status.
The Role Opus Plays
Opus, Configo Health’s benchmarking analytics platform, stands as a robust tool in the fight against these disparities. With a database comprising over 14 million pediatric encounters, Opus utilizes advanced analytics to identify trends and potential sources of variation in outcomes across different patient populations.
Opus Equity takes that robust data set and applies an equity lens, allowing your hospital to visualize and compare its performance with other children’s hospitals across different patient populations (race, ethnicity, SES, sex and age), thereby highlighting areas for improvement. It integrates seamlessly into existing workflows, enabling the transformation of complex data into actionable insights to effect meaningful changes in clinical practice.
Value Created by Opus
- Increased Equity: Opus pinpoints disparities across a wide spectrum of demographic groups, allowing you to focus on inequitable outcomes and promoting more equitable health outcomes for all children.
- Cost Savings: By enhancing equity and overall health outcomes, Opus helps reduce the long-term costs associated with treating complications and managing chronic conditions.
- U.S. News Performance: Improvement in health outcomes, driven by reduction in disparities, leads to enhanced performance metrics and better rankings in the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals list.
- Regulatory Compliance: Opus aids in meeting and exceeding regulatory requirements for reporting and improving health disparities, enhancing compliance and reputation, specifically around Health Equity tracking and improvement.
- Improved Reimbursement: In a healthcare landscape transitioning towards value-based reimbursement, efforts to mitigate disparities and improve outcomes strengthen your hospital’s position in negotiating better reimbursement rates. Opus provides the supporting data for these negotiations.
How to Use Opus to Solve this Problem
Opus Equity was created to identify disparities between patient populations within your organization and compare your outcomes to external benchmarks. Hospitals can use out-of-the-box reports surfacing differences in key outcomes like LOS, readmission rates or mortality across patient populations or create custom disease/condition or service level reports unique to their organization. Opus Equity also gives hospitals overviews of their equity landscape by providing not only executive summaries, but also broad views of their demographics and reports focusing on crucial questions of care access. All of these reports bring in comparisons to external benchmarks, creating a truly best in class Equity suite of tools for tackling healthcare disparities at your organization.
Configo Health remains committed to supporting your journey towards health equity in pediatric care. With Opus, you gain more than a benchmarking analytics platform – it’s your partner in driving change and championing improvements in equity, operational efficiency, and financial health.