Overview of the Problem
Equity in health outcomes is an urgent, ethical imperative for all pediatric hospitals. Disparities in mortality rates across different racial and ethnic groups constitute a major challenge that needs to be addressed. Beyond the profound human toll, these disparities also impact hospitals’ regulatory standing, U.S. News performance, and financial stability.
The Role Opus Plays
Opus, Configo Health’s benchmarking analytics platform, stands as a robust tool in the fight against these disparities. With a database comprising over 14 million pediatric encounters, Opus utilizes advanced analytics to identify trends and potential sources of variation in outcomes across different patient populations.
Opus Equity takes that robust data set and applies an equity lens, allowing your hospital to visualize and compare its performance in mortality with other children’s hospitals across different patient populations (race, ethnicity, SES, sex and age), thereby highlighting areas for improvement. It integrates seamlessly into existing workflows, enabling the transformation of complex data into actionable insights to effect meaningful changes in clinical practice.
Value Created by Opus
- Improved Equity: By highlighting disparities in mortality rates, Opus facilitates the development of targeted interventions to improve equity in health outcomes.
- Outcomes Improvement: Greater equity contributes to improved overall health outcomes, enhancing the quality of care provided to all children.
- U.S. News Performance: Reductions in mortality rate disparities can contribute to your hospital’s U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals ranking.
- Regulatory Compliance: Opus can assist your hospital in meeting and exceeding regulatory requirements related to health disparities, thereby enhancing your reputation and compliance standing.
- Improved Reimbursement: In the era of value-based care, improvements in equity can positively influence your negotiations for reimbursement rates. Opus provides the evidence to substantiate these discussions.
How to Use Opus to Solve this Problem
Opus Equity was created to identify disparities between patient populations within your organization and compare your outcomes to external benchmarks. The platform contains specific reports tailored to displaying mortality across diagnostic and procedural groups and highlighting disparities by patient populations. Hospitals can easily visualize, for example, the mortality rate for patients with a specific diagnosis, for example Sepsis patients, and the demographics of those patients highlighting where different groups diverge in outcome. All of these reports bring in comparisons to external benchmarks, creating a truly best in class Equity suite of tools for tackling healthcare disparities at your organization.
Configo Health is dedicated to partnering with your hospital on your journey to improve equity in pediatric healthcare. With Opus, you are equipped with a powerful benchmarking analytics tool and a dedicated ally committed to driving improvements in care, efficiency, and financial health.